Sweet and Tart Roast Chicken with Horseradish
A festive, lemon-scented roast chicken served with a delicious sauce made with the pan drippings, chicken broth, lemon zest, cranberries, kumquats, horseradish and maple syrup.
1 (3 1/2 to 4-pound) whole chicken
3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 lemon, zest grated and reserved
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 cup fresh cranberries
1/2 cup kumquats, halved, or chopped tangerine
1 tablespoon horseradish
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Place chicken in roasting pan; tuck wings underneath. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Cut lemon in half, squeeze juice over chicken and place lemon halves into cavity of chicken.
- Place chicken in oven and roast 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F (175°C); roast an additional 50 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 180°F (approximately 80°C) when inserted into thickest part of thigh.
- Remove chicken from pan, cover with foil and set aside.
- Pour off excess fat from pan drippings. Place roasting pan on stove over medium heat; stir in chicken broth, reserved lemon zest, cranberries, kumquats, horseradish and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer; cook until cranberries pop, stirring often. Reduce heat to low.
- Slice chicken and arrange on serving platter. Stir butter into sauce; pour into a bowl and serve with chicken.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the National Chicken Council. Used with permission.