Tasty tostadas with shredded chicken, black beans and refried beans, towering with assorted toppings.
Vegetable cooking spray
3 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 to 2 jalapeño chile
8 ounces cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained - divided use
2 cups chopped tomato
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 to 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
1 (2.25-ounce) package tostada shells
2 to 1 cup (2 to 4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese - divided use
Suggested Toppings: shredded lettuce, salsa, sliced olives, jalapeño chiles, chopped onion, avocado, tomato, sour cream, tortilla chips, etc.
- Spray small skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeño chile 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken and 2 cup black beans, mashing beans slightly. Stir in tomato, vinegar, and taco seasoning; cook, covered, 5 minutes. Uncover and cook until liquid is evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix refried beans and remaining 1 cup black beans; spread on 4 tostada shells; top each with 1 tablespoon cheese and another tostada shell. Spoon chicken mixture on tostada shells and sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Bake tostadas on cookie sheet at 400°F (205°C) until hot through, about 10 minutes, sprinkling with remaining cheese during last 2 to 3 minutes baking time.
- Add desired toppings to create Tostada Towers.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of The Bean Education & Awareness Network.