Banana Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Your kids will love these yummy banana sandwich cookies filled with peanut butter.
2 large ripe bananas, pureed or mashed
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup peanut butter (any style)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, beat in bananas, eggs and vanilla; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, soda and salt; set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat together butter, shortening, 1 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamy. Add the flour mixture and mix well. Stir this mixture into the banana mixture until well blended.
- Drop cookie dough by heaping rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Stir together remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle mixture over cookies. Flatten each cookie with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes, or until cookies are set, and light brown around the edges (cookie tops will not brown). Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.
- Spread bottoms of half the cookies with peanut butter; top with a second cookie (bottoms together).
- Store cookies in a tightly covered container.
Makes 36 cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/36 of recipe; 1 cookie): Calories: 172; Calories from Fat: 80g; Fat: 9g; Trans fats: 0.3g; Cholesterol: 17mg; Carbohydrate: 21g; Protein: 3g; Fiber: 0.83; Sodium: 108mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the National Peanut Board.