Candy Cane Cookies
Your holidays will sparkle when you serve these festive red and white cookies. Great for parties and gift-giving, too.
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs or 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- Cream butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed. Beat in eggs, vanilla and almond extract.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder; stir into creamed butter and sugar mixture. When well combined, divide dough in half; tint one half with food coloring. Wrap each piece of dough and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Divide each portion of dough into 32 pieces. Roll each piece into a 5-inch rope. Twist 1 red and 1 white rope together and bend the end to form a candy cane shape. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until set and lightly golden. Remove from sheet; cool on wire racks. Store in airtight container.
Makes 16 cookies.