Chocolate Dipped Walnut Macaroons
These tasty, rice-made macaroons are gluten-free.
3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 cups cooked rice, chilled
2 large egg whites
Vegetable cooking spray
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (the Nestle brand is gluten-free)
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
Walnut halves, toasted (optional)
- Chop walnuts in food processor until finely ground. Add coconut and sugar; process until coconut is finely minced. Add rice; pulse to blend. Add egg whites; pulse to blend.
- Spoon mixture into miniature muffin tins coated with cooking spray, filling to top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) 40 to 45 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack. Run a sharp knife around each macaroon shell, and gently remove from pan.
- Combine chocolate chips and vegetable shortening in top of double boiler. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until melted. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Dip one half of each macaroon and each walnut in melted chocolate; garnish undipped macaroon half with dipped walnut half. Let set until firm. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or until serving time.
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.