This festive, old-time bourbon-infused fruit cookie only gets better with age.
1/2 cup bourbon
3 cups raisins
3 cups candied cherries
2 cups dried citron or lemon peel
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
4 cups pecan halves
- Soak fruits in bourbon at least 1 hour to plump.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Set aside.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Gradually add sugar and eggs. Add flour mixture, stirring to combine, then add fruit and nuts and stir until just mixed .
- Drop spoonful onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake on top shelf of oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown, turning baking sheet around halfway through to ensure even browning.
- Transfer to wire racks for cooling.
- Store in an airtight container.
Makes 6 dozen cookies.