Classic Butter Cookies
Delight family and friends with these lemon-scented, sugar-topped butter cookies.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon lemon zest, minced
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest with an electric mixer. Mix in flour and blend until all ingredients are combined, about 2 minutes.
- Divide dough in half and roll into two equal logs about 6-inches in length. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap dough and slice into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Do not allow cookies to brown.
Makes 3 dozen cookies.