Crispy Orange Oatmeal Cookies
This thin, extra crispy and delicious buttery oatmeal cookie has a hint of orange in every bite.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In medium bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream sugars and butter in a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed until texture is fluffy and light in color. Add eggs, orange peel and vanilla; continue to beat an additional 3 minutes.
- Add flour mixture and stir by hand until combined; add oats and walnuts, stirring until just mixed. Dough will be soft.
- Spoon a fourth of the dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap* and roll dough into a 10-inch log. Repeat with remaining dough. Freeze for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- To bake, heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut logs into 1/4 inch slices. Place on non-stick or lightly greased baking sheets,1 1/2-inches apart.
- Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned, turning baking sheet around halfway through the baking time to allow even browning of the cookies. Let cookies to stand for one minute before transferring to wire racks to cool.
Makes 6 1/2 dozen or 78 cookies.
*Waxed paper will work also, but not as well, especially when it comes time to unwrap the cookie logs.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/78 of recipe): 85.4 calories; 39% calories from fat; 3.9g total fat; 11.7mg cholesterol; 60.1mg sodium; 47.4mg potassium; 11.4g carbohydrates; 0.8g fiber; 5.3g sugar; 10.6g net carbs; 1.7g protein.