Crazy-Good Chocolate Chip Cookies
This terrific recipe for chocolate chip cookies has a crazy list of ingredients that makes one irresistible, crazy-good cookie! Cinnamon gives this cookie an amazing flavor that's not to be missed, so don't even think about leaving it out.
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup crisped rice cereal*
1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
1/4 cup turbinado or coarse sugar for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine the coconut and oatmeal on a baking sheet and bake in the oven, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and shortening with sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, peanut butter and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until just combined. Stir in oatmeal and coconut until just combined. Fold in the cereal(s), and chocolate chips, incorporating evenly throughout dough.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls, about 2-inches apart, onto a non-stick or lightly greased baking sheet. With your impeccably clean fingers, flatten cookies slightly and then sprinkle a pinch or two of turbinado or coarse sugar atop each.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden, turning baking sheet around halfway through the baking time to ensure even browning. Cool for 2 to 3 minutes on baking sheet and the transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
*Or use cornflakes or a combination of both cereals.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/48 of recipe): 128.4 calories; 45% calories from fat; 6.8g total fat; 12.0mg cholesterol; 67.3mg sodium; 40.9mg potassium; 16.5g carbohydrates; 0.8g fiber; 7.7g sugar; 15.8g net carbs; 1.5g protein.