Lemon Cherry Chews
These simple, cake-mix based lemon cherry chews are like a soft and chewy lemon cooler cookie laced with bits of sweet maraschino cherries.
1 (18.25 ounces) package lemon cake mix
2 1/2 cups frozen nondairy whipped topping*, thawed
1 large egg
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1 (10-ounce) jar maraschino cherries, chopped, well drained
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- Combine cake mix, whipped topping, egg and lemon peel. Stir until well combined. Stir in cherries.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on well greased or sprayed cookie sheets. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet 1 minute. Carefully remove and cool completely on wire rack and dust again with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Store cookies in tightly covered container at room temperature.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.
*Note: Use regular nondairy whipped topping only.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.