Delightful tri-colored ribbon cookies made with the flavors of cherry, coconut and chocolate.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (1-ounce) unsweetened chocolate square, melted
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup finely chopped candied cherries
1 or 2 drops red liquid food coloring
1/3 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until blended. Gradually add flour, baking powder, and salt, beating until blended.
- Divide dough into thirds; place each portion in a separate bowl. Stir chocolate and walnuts into 1 portion; chopped cherries and red food coloring into second portion; and coconut and rum extract into third portion.
- Line an 8-inch square baking dish with plastic wrap. Press chocolate mixture into dish. Top with rum mixture and cherry mixture, pressing gently. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Cut dough evenly into 5 sections. Cut each section into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices, 2-inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Freeze up to 1 month, if desired.
Makes 8 dozen cookies.