Exquisite orange-scented cream cheese cookies studded with semisweet chocolate chips.
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange extract
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium mixing bowl combine shortening, softened cream cheese, sugar, and egg; beat until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla, orange extract and grated orange peel; beat well. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl sift flour and salt; fold into creamed mixture, beat until blended. Stir in semisweet chocolate chips until mixed.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2-inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges are just beginning to brown.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.