Skillet Chocolate Chip Cookie
This skillet version of everyone's favorite cookie is sure to please. Browning the butter in the skillet adds incredible flavor to the overall outcome of this tender-on-the-inside, crisp-on-the-outside cookie that's served in wedges.
Tip: Top a cookie wedge with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzle with fudge sauce for a simple, yet special dessert.
12 tablespoons butter - divided use
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1 whole egg, plus 1 egg yolk
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Over medium heat, melt 9 tablespoons of butter in a 12-inch iron skillet until it turns golden brown, stirring frequently. Once the butter starts to brown, this step goes fast and can burn easily if not watched closely. Once you smell a lovely "caramel" aroma, it's ready.
- Transfer the browned butter to a mixing bowl; add the remaining 3 tablespoon butter and stir until melted.
- Add brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt to the butter and stir until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Add the whole egg and egg yolk and stir for 30 seconds. Let mixture rest for 3 minutes. Repeat process of stirring 30 seconds and resting 3 minutes two more times.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Add the chocolate chips, mixing just until evenly distributed throughout the cookie dough.
- Wipe out excess butter from the skillet and spoon the cookie dough in, pressing down evenly into skillet with a spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove and cool in skillet for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Slice in pan.
Makes 16 cookie wedges.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories 248.93; Calories From Fat (43%) 107.74; Total Fat 12.51g 19%; Saturated Fat 7.55g 38%; Cholesterol 48.92mg 16%; Sodium 256.39mg 11%; Potassium 59.12mg 2%; Total Carbohydrates 33.51g 11%; Fiber 0.99g 4%; Sugar 16.31g ; Protein 2.5g 5%. (Percent daily values based on the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for a 2000 calorie diet. Nutrition information calculated from recipe ingredients.)