The comforting aroma that wafts throughout the home while these cinnamon and sugar-coated cookies bake is simply heavenly. A great cookie for the holidays.
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Cinnamon-Sugar: Combine 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- For Cookies: Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar in a medium bowl; set aside.
- With electric mixer, cream shortening; gradually add 1 1/2 cups sugar, beating well. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir in flour mixture, mixing well.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in cinnamon-sugar. Place 2-inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/48 of recipe): 94.0 calories; 42% calories from fat; 4.6g total fat; 8.8mg cholesterol; 49.0mg sodium; 32.1mg potassium; 12.5g carbohydrates; 0.3g fiber; 6.8g sugar; 12.2g net carbs; 1.0g protein.