These dainty cookies, decorated with powdered sugar icing and silver dragees, are always a hit at parties — and they make beautiful gifts.
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Powdered Sugar Icing:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
Coarse sugar; silver dragees (optional)
- For Cookies: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, vanilla, and almond extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Force unchilled dough through a cookie press fitted with a star or flower disk onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Brush tops of cookies with Powdered Sugar Icing and, while still wet, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Place a silver dragee* in center, if desired. Arrange on waxed paper and allow to stand until icing is dry.
- For Powdered Sugar Icing: In a medium bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk to make a thin icing. Makes about 2/3 cup.
Makes 80 cookies.
To Store: Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/80 of recipe): 72 kcal cal., 3g fat (2g sat. fat, 1g monounsatured fat), 11mg chol., 28mg sodium, 10g carb., 6g sugar.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.