Superior Chocolate Chip Cookies
A superior version of the classic chocolate chip cookie incredible flavor from the addition of crispy, toasted coconut and toasted nuts.
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
3/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil; spread coconut out on one baking sheet and walnuts on the other. Toast the coconut and walnuts in the oven until golden, stirring each frequently. Watch closely, as the coconut will toast faster and finish first. Cool both. Crush the coconut into fine crumbs and coarsely chop the walnuts.
- In medium bowl combine flour baking soda, baking powder, salt and the crushed coconut; mixing well. Set aside.
- Cream sugars and butter in a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed until texture is fluffy and light in color. Add eggs and vanilla; continue to beat an additional 3 minutes or until creamy textured.
- By hand, stir in flour mixture until just mixed; gently fold in the chocolate chips and toasted walnuts. (Do not over-mix at this stage.)
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined or non-stick baking sheets, 2-inches apart.
- Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned, turning the baking sheet around halfway through the baking time to allow even baking of the cookies.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool. Store in tightly sealed container.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.
Nutritional Facts Per Serving (1/60 of recipe): 114.8 calories; 49% calories from fat; 6.7g total fat; 15.2mg cholesterol; 69.8mg sodium; 31.0mg potassium; 13.6g carbohydrates; 0.7g fiber; 5.8g sugar; 13.0g net carbs; 1.4g protein.