The Best Butter Cookies
Decorate these rich, buttery cut-out cookies to fit the reason and the season.
2 cups (4 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large mixing bowl beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; mix well.
- Divide dough into four portions. Roll out one portion at a time on a floured surface to 1/8-inch thick. Cut into shapes with floured cutters and place 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.
Makes 5 dozen cookies.