A comforting combination of flavors and textures—two types of apples and fresh cranberries, kissed with cinnamon and topped with a crunchy oat streusel. Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
5 large Jonathan apples, peeled, sliced
4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
3/4 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter a 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Mix first 3 ingredients in bowl. Add 1/2 cup butter and combine using pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla in large bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Dot with 1/4 cup butter. Crumble topping evenly over fruit.
- Bake until apples are tender, about 1 1/4 hours. Cool slightly.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, as desired.
Makes 12 servings.