Apricot Cherry Cobbler
Fresh apricots and cherries baked to tender perfection beneath a toothsome, orange-scented cornmeal enriched crust.
1 (pound) fresh apricots, sliced (about 8)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 cups pitted fresh cherries (1/2 pound)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
3/4 cup low fat milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine apricots and 1/3 cup sugar; set aside.
- Combine cherries and 1 tablespoon flour; set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients; reserve 1 teaspoon sugar. Stir in orange peel. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk; stir just to moisten dry ingredients.
- Combine fruit in buttered 1 1/2 quart baking dish; spoon batter over top. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 255 calories, 4 g protein, 42 g carbohydrates, 205 mg sodium, 9 g fat, 21 mg cholesterol, 3 g dietary fiber, 1190 IU vitamin A, 309 mg potassium.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Fresh Apricot Council.