Apricot Rice Pudding
Baked rice pudding with apricot nectar and coconut, topped with a thin layer of apricot preserves and fluffy meringue.
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups apricot nectar
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup apricot preserves
- Combine rice and coconut in shallow 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Heat apricot nectar, water, 1/3 cup sugar and salt to boiling in medium saucepan; remove from heat.
- Combine egg yolks, lemon peel, vanilla and almond extract in medium bowl; beat slightly. Gradually stir in hot apricot nectar. Pour over rice and coconut; stir. Place dish in large pan containing 1-inch hot water.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°F) about 40 to 45 minutes or until set; cool slightly.
- Spread top with preserves.
- Beat egg whites with remaining 1/3 cup sugar until stiff but not dry. Spread meringue over pudding.
- Bake 15 minutes longer, or until lightly browned. Serve warm or cold, cut into squares.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.