Baked Sweet Cherry Pudding
Orange, vanilla and almond-scented baked cherry pudding.
2/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups Bing cherries, halved and pitted
1 tablespoon butter, melted
Vanilla ice cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Butter an 8-inch square glass baking dish; set aside.
- In a blender blend together 2/3 cup sugar, flour, eggs, milk, vanilla, zest, almond extract, and salt, until custard is just smooth.
- Arrange the cherries in one layer in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the custard mixture over the cherries.
- Bake pudding in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top is puffed and springy to the touch.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, and drizzle evenly with the butter.
- Place the pudding in a preheated broiler about 3-inches from the heat for 1 minute, or until it is lightly browned. Serve with the ice cream, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.