Berry Sour Cream Shortcake
Shortcake is always a spring and summertime favorite. Vary by using different fruit combinations, according to availability.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup cold butter or margarine
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
4 cups fresh fruit (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries and/or sliced peaches, etc.)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur (optional)
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- For Shortcake: Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Combine sour cream and egg in small bowl. Add milk and extract; mix well. Add to flour mixture; stir well.
- Spoon batter into greased 9-inch round baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan.
- For Fruits: Combine desired fruit and sugar in large bowl. Stir in liqueur. Cover; refrigerate until serving time.
- To serve, cut shortcake into wedges. For each serving, cut a wedge in half; place bottom half on serving plate. Spoon 1/4 cup fruit mixture over cake; top with remaining shortcake wedge. Spoon 1/4 cup fruit on top. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 330, Fat: 12 g, Cholesterol: 55 mg, Sodium: 390 mg, Carbohydrates: 53 g, Dietary Fiber: 3 g, Protein: 6 g.