Blueberry Apple Crisp
Fruit crisps are far easier to make than a homemade fruit pie, they taste just as good, and no one will miss the crust!
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
4 cups (4 medium) baking apples, peeled, cored, sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of kosher or sea salt
1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for accompaniment (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place blueberries and sliced apples in a greased 9-inch square (2-quart) baking dish and sprinkle evenly with the 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
- In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, flour, cinnamon and salt. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the 1/2 cup cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (Or use impeccably clean fingers to incorporate the butter into dry ingredients.)
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the fruit.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.