Bread Pudding with
Dried Cherries and Caramel Sauce
This delicious cinnamon bread pudding, studded with dried cherries, is served warm with a dreamy, homemade caramel sauce.
4 cups cubed (1/2 inch pieces) cinnamon swirl bread* (about 8 slices)
2/3 cup dried cherries or cranberries
4 large eggs
3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups half-and-half (light cream) or whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
- For Bread Pudding: Place bread cubes in a buttered 11x7-inch baking dish or oval 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle cherries over bread.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Stir in half and half until well blended. Pour over bread mixture, pressing down on bread to coat with egg mixture. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven 40 to 45 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- For Caramel Sauce: Combine sugar, butter, corn syrup and 1/2 cup of the cream in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Boil, uncovered until the sauce is thickened and golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently. Gradually stir in remaining 1 cup cream and salt. Return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Serve bread pudding warm or at room temperature with warm or room temperature caramel sauce.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.