California Walnut & Apricot Rugulach
Yiddish for “So you think you can stop after eating just one? Ha!” The rugulach is a regular at Hannukah and New Year celebrations. Meaning "little rolled things" these pastries have been around for centuries and are packed with so much delicious fruit, walnuts and spices they almost explode with the flavor of celebration. Serve warm from the oven for maximum enjoyment.
1 (8-ounce) package light cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped California Walnuts, toasted
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and cardamom
1/4 cup apricot marmalade
1 large egg
2 tablespoons coarse sugar (raw or turbinado sugar)
- For Pastry: In large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy; beat in sugar. Stir in flour until well combined. Form into a ball; cut into 4 pieces and shape into discs. Wrap individually in plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before rolling.
- For Filling: In small bowl, stir together walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom.
- Assembly: On lightly floured surface, roll each disc into an 11-inch circle, about 1/4-inch thick.Spread 3 tablespoons marmalade over top; sprinkle with 1/4 of the walnut mixture. Cut into 12 wedges. Starting from the wide end, roll up each wedge to form a crescent roll.
- Place each crescent 2-inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Beat egg lightly; brush over each crescent and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in 350°F (175°F) oven until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes before transferring to rack to cool completely.
Makes 48 rugulach.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/48 of recipe): 1.8 g protein, 7.6 g fat, 11.3 g carbohydrates, 0.5 mg iron, 15 mg calcium, 80 mg sodium, 0.5 g fiber, 117 calories.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Walnuts.