Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries
A splendid chocolate almond torte spiked with brandy, glazed with red currant jelly, topped with fresh raspberries and a dusting of powdered sugar.
1 cup granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup boiling water
3 (1-ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoon brandy
1/8 tablespoon almond extract
2 large egg yolks
4 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup blanched almonds, ground
1/4 cup red currant jelly, melted
1 pint raspberries, fresh
Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line bottom of 8 x 3-inch springform pan with wax paper. Lightly coat with nonstick spray.
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and the cocoa in microwave proof bowl. Gradually stir in water to make smooth paste. Stir in chopped chocolate. Melt mixture in the microwave on medium 1 to 1 1/2 minutes. Whisk in brandy and almond extract, then egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in mixer bowl at medium speed to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 1/4 cup sugar until stiff.
- Whisk flour and almonds into chocolate mixture. Fold in egg whites in 2 parts.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 minutes. Invert cake onto serving plate, peel off paper. Brush on melted jelly. Decorate with raspberries and powdered sugar.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Honeysuckle White, a division of Cargill, Incorporated. Used with permission.