Chocolate Angel Tarts
Crisp sweet meringue shells filled with a decadent chocolate cream.
4 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups whipping or heavy cream, whipped
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Slowly add sugar, beating constantly at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold in chopped pecans and vanilla.
- Spoon into 8 portions on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Shape into 5-inch diameter shells with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 300°F (150°C), turn off oven and let remain in oven with door closed for 1 to 2 hours or until firm and dry. Cool. Peel off the aluminum foil and place on a tray.
- Melt semi-sweet chocolate chips in a double boiler over hot water. Cool then blend in vanilla.
- Whip cream until stiff then gently fold in the melted chocolate. Spoon into the meringue shells. Chill for 2 hours.
Makes 8 servings.