Chocolate Apricot Linzer Tart
Criss-crossed with strips of rich chocolate almond pastry, the diamonds of golden apricot jam peek through like jewels in this Austrian specialty.
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
3/4 cup butter
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup chopped dried apricot
1/4 cup apricot liqueur
1/4 cup orange juice
1 (12-ounce) jar apricot jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a food processor, blend flour, almonds, sugar, and unsweetened baking cocoa. Add butter and process until crumbly. Add yolks and vanilla; mix well. Divide and refrigerate one-third of the dough.
- Press the remaining dough evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of a springform pan. Bake for 15 minutes; cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan heat chopped dried apricots, liqueur, and orange juice over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in apricot jam and mix until smooth. Spread over the bottom of the cooled tart shell.
- Roll out the remaining dough between two sheets of wax paper to about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 8 strips and arrange in a cross-hatch pattern on top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly. Cool then carefully remove from the pan.
Makes 8 servings.