Chocolate Raspberry Almond Torte
An elegant chocolate dessert torte well worth the effort.
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 ounces baking chocolate
2 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon raspberry jam
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup red raspberries
1/3 cup raspberry jam
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 cup cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a food processor, grind slivered almonds for 5 minutes, or until smooth; set aside.
- In the top half of a double boiler, over simmering water, melt baking chocolate and butter, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs, then add 1 cup sugar, gradually, beating until mixture is very thick and pale. Beat in the chocolate mixture, 1 tablespoon raspberry jam, and the ground almonds; beat until well combined.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Fold into chocolate mixture and beat until well combined. Fold in red raspberries gently. Turn the mixture into a well-buttered 8-inch springform pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the center is set. Cool, then remove from the pan.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine 1/3 cup raspberry jam and 1 tablespoon sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring, for 3 minutes. Force glaze through a fine sieve into a small bowl. Spread the glaze on the top and sides of the torte; let set for 2 hours, or until the glaze is set.
- In a small heavy saucepan, bring cream to a boil, remove from heat, and stir in semisweet chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Pour over the torte, and allow to stand until set.
Makes 12 servings.