Chocolate-Raspberry Tarts with Nut Crust
Elegant nut-crust tarts, spread with melted chocolate, filled with fresh raspberries and glazed with brandy-spiked raspberry jam.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup almonds
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons creamy butter, chopped
1 large egg yolk
2 tablespoons ice water
5 (1-ounce) squares semisweet baking chocolate
2 cups red raspberries
2 tablespoons raspberry jam
1 tablespoon brandy
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a food processor, grind almonds and flour until smooth and well mixed. Add sugar and salt; mix well. Process in chopped butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine egg yolk and ice water. Add to the flour mixture with the motor running and process until the dough gathers into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Divide into 4 equal portions and press into mini tart pans. Freeze for 15 minutes. Bake until browned, about 12 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350°F (175°C) and continue baking about 15 minutes more. Cool.
- Meanwhile, melt semisweet baking chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Spoon over the cooled tart shells, spreading evenly over the bottom of each; set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Arrange red raspberries in the shells, then chill.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine raspberry jam and brandy. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute. Gently brush the raspberries with the glaze.
Makes 8 servings.