Dried Plums and Walnut Caramel Tart
A splendid plum and walnut cream tart topped with drizzled chocolate. Recipe created by Chef Joanne Weir.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon cold water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whipping cream
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 ounces pitted dried plums, chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Cut butter into flour mixture until dough resembles coarse meal. Add egg yolk, water and vanilla; mix just until dough is combined. Form into 6-inch disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Press dough evenly onto bottom and 3/4-inch up sides of 8-inch square baking pan. Crimp edges; freeze 10 minutes.
- Prick bottom of pastry several times with fork; line bottom with parchment paper. Place approximately 1 cup of pie weights or dried beans evenly on parchment. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until top edges are golden brown. Remove parchment paper and weights (discard beans if using). Reduce heat to 375°F (190°C). Bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until pastry is no longer shiny. Cool on wire rack.
- In medium saucepan, combine cream and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat; stir in dried plums and walnuts. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Pour filling into baked tart crust, evenly distributing dried plums and walnuts. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until top is browned and bubbly. Cool tart on wire rack 15 minutes.
- Melt chocolate in top of double boiler. With a fork, using a back-and-forth motion, drizzle chocolate onto top of tart. When chocolate is set, cut into 16 squares.
Makes 16 servings.