Eggnog Cream Puffs
These festive cream puffs are filled with an eggnog cream laced with bits of candied red cherries and German sweet chocolate. A wonderful dessert for winter holiday entertaining.
24 mini (2 1/2 to 3-inch diameter) cream puff shells, purchased or homemade
1/4 cup cold water
2 packages (2 tablespoons) unflavored gelatin
2 1/2 cups dairy eggnog - divided use
2 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon run extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup candied red cherries or dried Door County cherries, finely chopped
6 squares (1 1/3 ounces each) German sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- Cut off top 1/3 of each cream puff shell and set aside. Discard soft interior.
- Soften gelatin in gold water.
- Place 1 cup eggnog in a saucepan, place over low heat and bring to a simmer. Add softened gelatin and stir until dissolved. Remove saucepan from heat; add the remaining 1 1/2 cups eggnog, rum and vanilla. Chill until partially set (consistency of unbeaten egg whites), about 45 minutes.
- Whip cream until stiff; gently fold into eggnog mixture, adding cherries and chocolate. Chill until mixture mounds when dropped from a spoon, about 30 minutes.
- Fill cream puff shells with eggnog filling and replace top right before serving. Serve chilled.
Makes 24 mini cream puffs.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.