Fruit-Filled Chocolate Chip Meringue Nests
Delicate, light meringue nests overflowing with fresh fruit and drizzled with warm chocolate sauce—how could anyone resist?
4 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
2/3 cup (5-ounce can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 cup (6 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups fresh fruit or berries (whole blackberries, blueberries or raspberries, sliced kiwi, peaches or strawberries)
- For Meringues: Preheat oven to 300ºF (150ºC). Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar in large mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar; beat until sugar is dissolved. Gently fold in morsels. Spread meringue into ten 3-inch nests with deep wells about 2-inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until meringues are dry and crisp. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For Chocolate Sauce: Heat evaporated milk to boiling in medium, heavy-duty saucepan. Stir in morsels. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is slightly thickened and smooth. Remove from heat; stir in sugar, vanilla extract and salt.
- Drizzle meringues with Chocolate Sauce and fill with fruit (whole blackberries, blueberries or raspberries, sliced kiwi, peaches or strawberries); serve immediately.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Calories: 400 Calories from Fat: 140 Total Fat: 16 g Saturated Fat: 9 g Cholesterol: 5 mg Sodium: 180 mg Carbohydrates: 61 g Dietary Fiber: 4 g Sugars: 49 g Protein: 6 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.