Gouda Raspberry Swirl Rhubarb Cobbler
Your family will enjoy this unique springtime cobbler with a sweet rhubarb filling and creamy Gouda cheese and raspberry-filled biscuit pinwheel topping.
2 tablespoons sugar - divided use
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch ground cloves
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
4 cups rhubarb, chopped
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Salt, to taste
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup milk
3 tablespoons raspberry jam
3/4 cup (3 ounces) Wisconsin Gouda Cheese, grated
- For Cinnamon-Sugar: In small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of sugar with cinnamon and cloves. Set aside.
- For Filling: In medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar and cornstarch. Add 1 cup water and mix well. Add rhubarb. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Reduce heat to low and keep filling hot.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For the cobbler biscuits, in medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center of mixture and add the milk. Stir just until moistened.
- Turn the dough onto lightly-floured surface and knead lightly 10 times. Pat dough into a 12x9-inch rectangle. Spread with raspberry jam and sprinkle with Gouda. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting from short side; seal edges. Cut into 9 slices.
- Transfer hot rhubarb filling to 8x8x2-inch pan. Immediately place biscuit slices on top of filling. Sprinkle biscuits with reserved cinnamon-sugar.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until biscuits are golden. Serve warm.
Makes 9 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.