Pavlova is a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballet dancer Anna Pavlova. The crisp meringue crust for this pavlova is topped with sweetened mascarpone cheese and fresh seedless grapes soaked in an orange liqueur.
8 large egg whites, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 cups marscapone cheese
1/4 cup granulated sugar (for filling)
1 1/2 quarts California seedless grapes
1/4 cup orange liqueur
- Preheat oven to 275°F (135°C).
- Beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar until firm. Gradually add sugar, 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff and glossy, and no longer grainy to the touch. Beat in cornstarch, lemon juice and peel.
- On lightly buttered parchment paper, pipe 3 1/2 to 4-inch rounds of meringue, forming a rim on outer edge.
- Bake in preheated oven 45 minutes to one hour or until firm and light brown. (Inside should remain moist.)
- Mix grapes and orange liqueur.
- Beat sugar into marscapone; refrigerate until serving time.
- To Assemble: Spread centers of meringue with sweetened marscapone then top with liqueured grapes.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 324, Carbohydrate 56g , Protein 4g, Fat 10g, Calories from Fat 26%, Sodium 139mg, Cholesterol 26mg, Fiber 0.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Table Grape Commission.