Havarti and Pear Pastries
Crispy puff pastry swirls filled with a lemony-cinnamon pear filling and topped with melty slices of creamy Havarti cheese.
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
For Pear Filling:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
2 to 3 medium Anjou, Bosc or Bartlett pears, peeled, cored and chopped
8 slices Wisconsin Havarti Cheese
- Thaw puff pastry at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a small bowl mix sugar, flour and cinnamon.
- In another small bowl mix pears, lemon juice and zest.
- Carefully unfold pastry onto a lightly-floured surface. Roll into 15x10x1-inch rectangle. Brush lightly with water.
- Combine sugar-flour and pear-lemon juice mixtures from the 2 small bowls.
- Spoon filling on pastry and spread to within 2-inches of the short sides and to the edge of the long sides. Starting at the short side, roll like a jelly roll.
- Cut roll into 8 (about 1 1/2-inch) slices. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and place a Havarti slice on each pastry. Return to oven just until cheese melts, about a minute. Remove rolls from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.