Lemon Pudding Cakes with Strawberry Sauce
Moist and luscious lemon pudding cakes served with a fresh, honey-sweetened strawberry sauce.
3 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
2 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar for garnish
6 cups fresh strawberries, stemmed and hulled*
1/3 cup honey or white corn syrup or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°F). Generously butter six 3/4 cup ramekins and place in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- For Cakes: Combine the egg yolks, milk, lemon juice, and zest in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until frothy, about 2 minutes. Add the butter, sugar, flour and salt, and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into the yolk mixture, being careful not to over mix.
- Divide the batter among the prepared cups. Pour enough warm water into the roasting pan to come halfway up the sides of the dishes.
- Bake until puffed and lightly firm to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the strawberry sauce onto 6 dessert plates. Loosen the sides of each pudding cake with a thin spatula or knife and carefully turn out onto the prepared plates. Sift the tops of the pudding cakes with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
- For Strawberry Sauce: In a food processor or blender, purée 2 cups of strawberries on high speed and transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Slice the remaining strawberries and add to the puréed strawberries. Stir in the honey or corn syrup; using more or less according to personal preference.
- Serve sauce at room temperature for best flavor. Makes 3 cups.
Makes 6 servings.
*Frozen whole strawberries, thawed slightly, may be substituted for the fresh strawberries when not in season.