Light and Easy Pear-Strawberry Trifle
This fruit laden dessert is easy to put together and can be made in minutes.
2 pared, cored, and thinly sliced Anjou or Bosc pears
2 cups coarsely chopped strawberries
1/2 teaspoon almond extract* (optional)
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 of a (9-inch) angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 cups vanilla or lemon yogurt (can use low-fat, if desired)
1 cup diced fresh pineapple or canned pineapple
Garnish: Pear slices and mint sprigs
- Toss pears in lemon juice and strawberries in extract or liqueur.
- Combine orange juice and honey, mix well.
- Layer a deep 2 to 2 1/2-quart glass bowl in the following order: 1/3 of cake sprinkled with 1 tablespoon orange juice mixture, 1 cup yogurt, 1 cup pear slices, 1 cup strawberries, and 1/2 cup pineapple; repeat.
- Layer remaining cake, sprinkle with remaining orange juice mixture and spread 1 cup yogurt over top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours before serving.
- Garnish with pear slices and mint just before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
*2 tablespoons almond-flavored liqueur may be substituted.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of U.S.A. Pears.