Peach and Rice Trifle
This healthier version of trifle uses nonfat vanilla yogurt, low-sugar fruit spread, fresh peaches—and cooked rice takes the place of the cake.
3 (8-ounce) cartons vanilla nonfat yogurt
3/4 cup low-sugar apricot or peach spread, melted
3 tablespoons sherry
4 cups cooked rice
6 large peaches
1 teaspoon lemon juice
4 cups frozen nonfat whipped topping, thawed - divided use
Ground cinnamon for sprinkling
- Line wire mesh sieve or colander with several layers of paper towels. Add yogurt. Cover with paper towels. Let stand 5 minutes to absorb liquid. Using rubber scraper, scrape yogurt from paper towels into bowl; set aside.
- Combine peach spread and sherry in bowl; stir in rice. Set aside.
- Peel and slice peaches; toss with lemon juice and set aside.
- Spoon half of rice mixture into bottom of 2-quart glass serving bowl. Arrange half of peaches over rice; spread half of yogurt over peaches. Spread half of whipped topping over yogurt; sprinkle with cinnamon. Repeat layers.
- Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve chilled.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.