Irresistible miniature fold-over tarts made with a buttery rich dough, filled with red raspberry or strawberry preserves and garnished with a sprinkling of ground nuts. A must-have at teatime!
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 whole large egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Filling and Garnish:
1/3 cup raspberry or strawberry preserves
1 large egg
1 teaspoon water
1/4 cup ground nuts
- For Butter Dough: Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until light and fluffy. Add remaining ingredients, mixing at low speed until well-blended.
- Shape dough into two flattened rounds. Wrap securely in plastic wrap; chill several hours until firm.
- On floured surface, roll one round to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2-inch scalloped round cutter.
- For Filling and Garnish: Dollop 1/4 teaspoon preserves on center of each dough round. Fold dough in half, enclosing preserves. Lightly press edges to seal. Place 1-inch apart on buttered cookie sheet.
- Mix egg and water together and brush "purses" lightly; sprinkle with nuts. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
Makes about 36.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.