Raspberry Rice Elegance
Wedges of rich, creamy rice custard, with a sour cream topping, is served with a refreshing raspberry sauce.
2 cups ricotta or creamed cottage cheese
3/4 cup half-and-half or light cream
2 large eggs
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract - divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup red currant jelly
1 (10-ounce) package frozen red raspberries
1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Beat together cheese, half-and-half, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon. Stir in rice. Pour into buttered 10-inch pie plate.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (160°F) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until set.
- Combine sour cream with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla; spread over custard.
- Bake 5 minutes longer. Let cool. Refrigerate 3 hours or until chilled.
- Melt jelly in saucepan. Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water. Stir into jelly and cook, stirring frequently, until clear and thickened. Add berries, stirring gently. Cook over low heat until berries are thawed. Cover and chill.
- Serve sauce over wedges of pudding.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of the USA Rice Federation.