Rhubarb-Strawberry and Hazelnut Crisp
Tart rhubarb is a natural with sweet strawberries. Here they're combined in a classic American dessert with toasted hazelnuts added to the sweet and crunchy topping.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground mace
1 1/2 pounds rhubarb stalks, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8 ounces strawberries, hulled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut small cubes
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- To Make Filling: In a large bowl, combine sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and mace. Add rhubarb, strawberries and vanilla to bowl and fold gently until mixture is thoroughly combined. Transfer to a 9-inch square baking pan.
- To Make Topping: Combine flour, brown sugar, sugar and cinnamon; use fingers to break up any lumps in brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas. Gently fold in hazelnuts.
- Sprinkle topping evenly over filling.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 9 servings.