Rustic Plum-Walnut Tart
A rustic-style, raspberry glazed fresh plum tart with a rich walnut crust.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup walnut oil*
6 tablespoons ice water
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons wheat germ or oat bran
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
2 pounds plums, seeded and quartered
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- For Crust: Combine flour and sugar with salt in a medium bowl. Slowly stir in walnut oil, mixing until the mixture is crumbly. Stir in ice water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough holds together.
- Press dough into a disk between double sheets of plastic wrap. Roll into a 14-inch circle, remove top sheet of plastic wrap, and invert onto a large ungreased baking sheet or pizza pan. Refrigerate for at least an hour, covered with the other sheet of plastic.
- For Filling: In a food processor, combine flour and 1/2 cjup sugar with wheat germ (or oat bran) and walnuts. Process until smooth. Spread over chilled crust leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Arrange plums on their flat sides over walnut mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup sugar. Fold edges of crust over plums. Brush crust with milk and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden.
- For Glaze: Melt raspberry jam in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; let cool slightly, strain and set aside. Use a pastry brush to glaze warm tart with melted jam.
Makes 8 servings.
*Walnut oil can be found in most gourmet stores and in some large grocery stores.