Spicey Ricey Valentine Pudding
Add a little spice to the final course of your Valentine's Day meal with these individual apple rice custards topped with a spiced apple syrup.
1 (14-ounce) jar spiced apple rings
1 cup cooked rice
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Drain apple juice into a liquid measure and set aside.
- Chop 3 of the slices into a small bowl. Stir in rice. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the mixture into each of 4 greased 6-ounce custard cups. Place cups in large baking pan.
- Thoroughly blend eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla. Pour over rice in each cup.
- Place pan on rack in preheated 350°F (175°C) oven. Pour very hot water into pan to within 1/2-inch of top of custard.
- Bake until knife inserted near center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove promptly from hot water. Cool slightly on wire rack.
- Slowly blend 1 1/2 cups reserved apple juice into cornstarch. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- Unmold custards onto serving dishes. Top with apple syrup.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of the American Egg Board.