This no-bake, melt-in-your-mouth strawberry and rhubarb soufflé is like springtime on a spoon.
4 cups sliced rhubarb
1 cup granulated sugar
1 (0.25-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
3 large egg whites*
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups chopped strawberries
- In a microwave-safe baking dish combine sliced rhubarb and sugar. Cover and microwave on high for 10 minutes or until the rhubarb is tender, stirring once. Chill, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Soften unflavored gelatin in cold water. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring once. Cool.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar gradually, beating until stiff peaks form. Add the gelatin gradually, beating constantly.
- Beat cream until stiff.
- Combine 1 cup of the rhubarb mixture and chopped strawberries. Fold in the egg whites and half the whipped cream.
- Spoon the remaining rhubarb mixture in a serving dish with a 2-inch aluminum foil collar. Spoon the strawberry mixture on top.
- Chill for 4 hours then remove the aluminum collar.
Makes 8 servings.
*We suggest using a pasteurized egg white product for this recipe.