Strawberry Cake Roll
A delightful sponge cake pinroll filled with a delectable strawberry and vanilla ice cream mixture.
1 1/2 pints vanilla ice cream, softened
1 cup non-dairy whipped topping
1 1/2 cups sliced hulled strawberries
4 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Combine vanilla ice cream, non-dairy whipped topping and about two thirds of the strawberries in a bowl; mix well to distribute strawberries and freeze for at least 1 hour. Place remaining strawberries in small bowl, cover and refrigerate.
- Grease a jelly roll pan; line with greased parchment paper, set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until light and lemon colored; gradually add first addition of sugar and vanilla, stirring well. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add second addition of sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff but not dry. Fold into the egg yolk mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; mix well, then fold into egg mixture. Spread batter in prepared pan; bake 12 minutes or until cake is lightly golden and springs back to the touch.
- Sift powdered sugar onto a large, clean linen towel in a 15 x 10-inch rectangle pattern. When the cake is done, immediately loosen from sides of pan by running a sharp knife gently around the edges; turn cake out onto towel, centered on the powdered sugar rectangle. Peel off parchment paper. Starting at the narrow end, roll up cake and towel together; cool on wire rack, seam side down.
- Unroll cake and remove towel. Remove ice cream mixture from freezer. Spread ice cream on cake, leaving a 1-inch margin. Immediately re-roll cake and wrap in aluminum foil. Freeze for one hour.
- Remove aluminum foil and place cake on serving dish, seam side down.
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Garnish cake with whipped cream and remaining sliced strawberries.
Makes 8 servings.