Strawberry Cream Slice
Delicious strawberry cream slice makes an elegant presentation. Source: The New York Times, May 28, 2003.
For the Crème Pâtissière:
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup superfine sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Sponge cake:
3 large eggs
Nonstick vegetable oil spray or vegetable oil
3/8 cup superfine sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 pound strawberries, hulled and cut in two or four
1 teaspoon superfine sugar
- Prepare the Crème Pâtissière: In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until creamy. Mix in flour and set aside. In a heavy-bottom saucepan, combine milk and cream and place over medium-high heat until steaming. Pour mixture into bowl with yolks and whisk until smooth. Pour mixture back into saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Whisk gently until thickened to a soft custard, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla extract.
- Cool custard by pouring into a bowl set in a basin of cold water. Rinse a sheet of parchment paper under water, wring out, and place on surface of custard to prevent a skin from forming.
- Prepare the Sponge cake: Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Place eggs in a mixing bowl filled with warm water for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly oil bottom, sides and rim of an 18 x 13-inch jelly roll pan, and line with baking parchment.
- Remove eggs, discard water and dry bowl. Crack eggs into the warm bowl and beat with an electric mixer at low speed until frothy. Gradually add sugar. Continue to beat until mixture increases in volume to that of a thick mousse. Slowly beat in 1/4 cup warm water and vanilla. Stop beating. Mix salt and baking powder into flour. Gently fold flour mixture into beaten eggs. Scrape into jelly roll pan and bake until the sponge cake has risen evenly and is golden brown, but still tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, allow to cool, and turn out onto serving platter.
- To assemble: In a small bowl combine the strawberries and sugar. Stir until berries are evenly coated and shiny. Spread sponge cake evenly with cooled crème pâtissière. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, over the surface. Cut into rectangles and serve immediately.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of California Strawberry Commission. ©2003 California Strawberry Commission. All rights reserved. Used with permission.