Strawberry Dessert Crêpes
Paper-thin European pancakes are filled with sweet fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Serve these elegant roll-ups for breakfast or dessert.
2 pints fresh strawberries, washed, stemmed and sliced
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 cup whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Combine strawberries and sugar; toss lightly until well mixed, then set aside.
- Add milk to flour and salt; beat until smooth. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in melted butter.
Refrigerate for one hour.
- Coat a 10-inch skillet with vegetable cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot, but not smoking. Pour 1/4 cup batter into skillet and quickly tilt the pan to spread the batter in a thin, even film. Cook about 1 minute then lift the edge to check for doneness. Shake loose and flip; cook on the other side for about 30 seconds. Place on a towel to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Spoon about 1/4 cup strawberry mixture into center of each crêpe and top with whipped cream. Roll up, leaving the ends open.
- Place seam side down in a serving dish. Dust crêpes with powdered sugar.
Makes 8 servings.