Strawberry Orange Sorbet
This refreshing summer sorbet can be made without an ice cream maker.
1 pint fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon honey
2 large fresh egg whites
- Combine strawberries, orange juice, milk and honey in a blender. Cover; blend for 1 minute or until smooth. Pour the mixture into a 9x9x2-inch pan; cover and freeze for 2 to 3 hours or until almost firm.
- Meanwhile (a few minutes before removing strawberry mixture from freezer) beat egg whites* in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Remove strawberry mixture from freezer; break mixture into chunks and transfer to a large chilled mixer bowl. Beat the mixture with electric mixer until smooth, then fold in the egg whites.
- Return to mixture to the pan, cover with a lid or aluminum foil and freeze for 6 to 8 hours or until firm.
- To serve; scrape across the frozen mixture with a spoon and serve in dessert dishes.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: Serve garnished with fresh berries, mint leaves and a little finely grated lemon peel.