Strawberry Sweetheart Tart
Start with puff pastry, add a creamy filling, and top with romantic red berries—what a sweet and simple way to steal someone's heart.
1/2 of a (17.25-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water
1/3 cup sliced almonds, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons amaretto or orange juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 cups sliced strawberries
1/4 cup red current or raspberry jelly, melted
- On a lightly floured surface roll pastry sheet to a 12-inch square. Cut out an 11-inch heart. Transfer heart to an ungreased baking sheet. Cut excess pastryinto 3/4-inch-wide strips. In a small cup, beat egg and water. Brush egg mixture in a 3/4-inch border around top of heart.
- Twist pastry strips and arrange around top edge of heart to make a border, brushing ends with egg mixture and overlapping strips slightly. Brush pastry with egg mixture. Prick center of pastry with a fork. Sprinkle pastry with almonds and the 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until pastry is browned, pricking bottom once with fork if necessary to make it puff evenly. Let tart cool on baking sheet on a wire rack.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese and the 3 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until fluffy. Add amaretto or orange juice and vanilla. Beat until thoroughly combined; set aside. In a chilled mixing bowl beat whipping cream with chilled beaters of an electric mixer or medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold into cream cheese mixture. Spoon filling into cooled pastry shell and spread evenly.
- Arrange sliced strawberries over filling, overlapping to cover filling completely. Brush with melted jelly. Cover; chill in the refrigerator up to 2 hours before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): calories: 505, total fat: 35g, saturated fat: 11g, cholesterol: 94mg, sodium: 259mg, carbohydrate: 42g, fiber: 2g, protein: 7g, vitamin A: 22%, vitamin C: 48%, calcium: 5%, iron: 7%.
Recipe provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.